- Enhanced recovery starts with clearly defined preoperative preparation that involves the spectrum of health care team members, including the patient.
- Intraoperative approaches have the entire scope of the patient's care in mind including post-op recovery - multimodality pain control, pre-emption of nausea, and fluid management to minimize post-op ileus.
- Post-op order sets and team care optimize patient recovery, convey the experience of accumulated knowledge and minimize complications and hospital stay.
- The opioid epidemic is a major national health care crisis. The course has added a session that directly addresses how the team caring for the surgical patient can minimize post-operative pain and the need for opiate prescriptions.
- 3-hours of Opioid-related education are offered as part of the Pain Management CME.
- Mayo Clinic is now an "ERAS® Society Center of Excellence", completing an ERAS® implementation program and has qualified as a teaching center for the implementation program, and/or has made considerable contributions to the development of ERAS® for the ERAS® Society.
This course is designed for Physicians (surgeons of all specialties), Anesthesiologists, Nurses (pre-op, peri-op, PACU, post-op), Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants, Dietitians and Allied Health Professionals. Surgical specialties now include: Colorectal, Gynecology, HPB, Urology, ENT, Hernia, Thoracic and Surgical Oncology (Breast and HIPEC).
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- (With no current ERAS protocol) Develop an ERAS protocol and order sets.
- (With current ERAS protocol) Review and upgrade protocol and order sets
- Identify methods to reduce post-operative narcotics with multi-modality pain order sets
- Learn/utilize the block relevant to your operations
Anesthesiologists and CRNAs:
- Utilize hemodynamic fluid management
- Utilize pre-op PONV risk scores to optimize management
- Utilize intra-operative infusions for pain receptor blockade
- Demonstrate the importance of patient education
- Integrate the basics tenets of ERAS: early feeding, early mobilization and pain management
- List several forms of interventions to use before narcotics
- Recommend different forms of team communication
- Assess audit of outcomes and protocol compliance
Time: 07:00 to 11:30
General Admission: USD 350.00