5k and 2 Mile Walk/Run
Registered Participants will Receive
- - T-shirt
- - Beanie
- - Timing chip
- - Bib
- - Kiwanis breakfast after the race
- - Local vendors will be onsite with information about addiction recovery services
Addiction affects the entire family.
Ask any parent who has lived through the nightmare of a child who abuses drugs.
Talk to a spouse of someone trapped in the abuse of prescription medications.
When a person compulsively uses drugs or alcohol, their behavior does not exist in a vacuum. Their destructive behavior impacts their family and loved ones. Here are a few of the ways families are impacted when their loved one is addicted.
- - Relationships are damaged or lost
- - Emotional turmoil exists
- - Verbal or emotional abuse can arise
- - Negative family roles can emerge (caretaking or lying)
- - Financial security is threatened
- - The risk of disease becomes a concern
The Jimmy Run was started to honor avid runner Jim Harris. Jim started running in 1976 and never stopped. He completed 22 marathons, including the Boston marathon three times, and countless road races around the valley. A real competitor, Jim loved the fitness and competition that running provided. What he enjoyed, even more, was the lifelong camaraderie of Fresno’s running community.
Jim Harris was also the father of an addict.
He understood that addiction impacts the entire family system. His son, Tod James Harris, is a former addict who now devotes his time to helping others struggling with addiction. He is the Executive Director of Total Life Change. This is the inspiration for the second annual Jimmy 5K & 2 Mile run/walk.
Thank you for honoring Jim’s memory by participating in this race and helping raise awareness for FAMILIES IN RECOVERY.