The Beattie Manions AKA The House on the Hill, is quickly becoming known as one of the most haunted locations in the U.S.
Built in 1854 by Armstrong and Eliza Beattie as their personal residence, the building originally consisted of just the east wing. Armstrong was the 1st banker in St. Joseph and was a shrewd and wealthy businessman. He was first elected mayor in 1857 and would go on to be re-elected 4 other times making him the only person to serve as mayor of St. Joseph 5 times.
Armstrong died mysteriously in 1878 after a “sudden bout of cholera”. Eliza died 2 years later in 1880 and the couple left no heirs.
The home was sold to the Ladies Union Benevolence Association (LUBA) and became a “Home for the Friendless” accommodating the homeless and distressed. In 1895, along with funding from a private family, the home was expanded and the west wing was built. Also in 1895 LUBA converted the home into the Memorial Home for the Aged which it served for 100 years. In 1995 LUBA, in need of more modern facilities for its residents, moved the aged home to another location and the building was temporarily used as a group home for the mentally ill and substance addicts. It was sold to the current owner in 2004 and has sat empty, with the plans to turn the building into a quaint B&B.
This is your chance to not only investigate, but spend the night at this very active location. Find out for yourself why it's becoming known as one of the most haunted locations in the U.S.